6. Why does Bermeo argue that institutions are important in the success of peace preservation in federal systems?
they provide more layers of government and thus more settings for peaceful bargaining
they keep the military at bay
7. Who says that what determines whether a state is created as federal or unitary is whether the constituent states of a potential federation have high levels of what Michael Mann calls 'infrastructural capacity'?
8. Which of the following is not a factor in the success of failure to peace preserve in a federal country?
regionally concentrated ethnic groups
presence of religious sectors
exclusion from government
9. Wibbels finds that federal economies in developing systems fair worse than their unitary counterparts, increasing the budget deficits by what percent of expenditure?
10. Who finds that the race to the bottom in federal systems is not found in undercutting other states but rather in a failure to adjust for inflation unless other states do the same?
Bakke and Wibbels
11. Which of the following is not an example of a country with a core ethnofederal region?
Serb Republic in Yugoslavia (42% against 20% Croat population)
Russian Republic in the USSR
French bloc in Canada
Hausu-Fulani group (55% of pop) in Nigerian First Republic
12. Who said 'federal systems that have persisted do so not because they have eliminated conflict but because they have managed it'?
13. Who says that collective disadvantages and relative deprivation are at the heart of political mobilisation?
14. Who says that federalism is more like a marble cake than a layer cake?
15. Who says that 'federalism is chiefly a property of constitutions not societies'?
16. What is the intermediate factor between decentralization and its effect on ethnic conflict and secessionism?
the growth of regional parties
17. What example does Brancati give to demonstrate how regional parties bolster secessionism?
South Tyrolean Peoples' party
The Scottish National Party
The Northern League in Italy (Padania)
18. Which is not one of the three countries Stepan says will never become stable democracies without 'workable federal systems' due to high levels of ethnic and linguistic diversity?
19. Who says that ethnofederal states are more likely to collapse when they contain a core ethnic region?
20. Since 1945, ethnic conflict has played a major role in x% of all wars, turned over y million people into refugees and caused z million deaths.