Skip to content
Back to quiz
6. What is the overall effect of federalism on suppressing conflict?
- positive but undermined by growth of regional parties
7. Which of the following is not one of Riker's conditions for federalism?
- each level of government has at least one area of action in which is is autonomous
- states have a veto over central government powers
- two levels of government that rule the same land and people
- there is some guarantee of autonomy in its own sphere
8. Who notes that most separatist violence emerges as a result of central refusal to respond to initially moderate demands from minorities?
9. Who finds that federal regimes generally do better than unitary regimes in accommodating ethnic armed rebellion, minority discrimination and grievances?
10. Which group are given by Bakke and Wibbels as an example of a minority seeking more power due to redistributive concerns?
- Punjabi Sikhs in the 1970s and 1980s
- Scottish minority in UK in 2014
11. Who said 'federal systems that have persisted do so not because they have eliminated conflict but because they have managed it'?
12. All ethnofederations that have collapsed have possessed core ethnic regions, whereas no ethnofederation lacking a core ethnic region has collapsed. True or false?
13. Which of the following is not an example of a country with a core ethnofederal region?
- Serb Republic in Yugoslavia (42% against 20% Croat population)
- French bloc in Canada
- Hausu-Fulani group (55% of pop) in Nigerian First Republic
- Russian Republic in the USSR
14. Who says that 'federalism is chiefly a property of constitutions not societies'?
15. Which of the following is not a reason why core ethnic regions make a state more susceptible to collapse?
- the collective imagining of a core-group nation state
- dual power stations
- lack of equal distribution of wealth amongst communities
- reduction in the capacity of central government to credibly commit to the protection of ethnic minority groups
16. Who says that 'in the absence of federalism, geographically concentrated minorities seem less prone to either want to leave the state or... to succeed in doing so'?
17. Who estimates that they assimilation of ethnic groups requires between 300 and 700 years?
18. Which two countries have the greatest levels of peace without foreign military intervention due to their establishment of consociational power sharing arrangements?
- The Netherlands and Madagascar
- Belgium and Tanzania
- Luxembourg and Niger
19. What example does Brancati give to demonstrate how regional parties bolster secessionism?
- The Northern League in Italy (Padania)
- South Tyrolean Peoples' party
- The Scottish National Party
- Bloc Quebecois
20. What is the intermediate factor between decentralization and its effect on ethnic conflict and secessionism?
- social exclusion
- the growth of regional parties
- social isolation