- Created by: cwilliamson29
- Created on: 31-03-14 12:30
1. Who said "language can be 'face saving' or 'face threatening'"
- Brown and Levison
1 of 8
Other questions in this quiz
2. Labov's research highlighted the issue of convergence- what is this?
- Changing your dialect to make people think you are more educated
- Forming a group based on similar speech styles
- Changing our speech style to fit in with a certain group
- Being friends with people of a similar dialect to you
3. What is 'synthetic personalisation'?
- The way in which advertising uses personalised language such as "you" to construct a relationship
- The way in which advertising uses possessive language such as "mine" to construct a relationship
- The way in which advertising uses romanticised language such as "love" to construct a relationship
- The way in which advertising uses subjective language such as "theirs" to construct a relationship
4. Instrumental power is...
- where the audience actually has power due to their position
- where the writer/speaker actually has power due to their position
- where the audience must try and persuade the speaker
- where the writer/speaker must try and persuade the audience
5. If you were the submissive talker in a conversation, what would you be according to Fairclough?
- The equal encounter
- The non-powerful participant
- The powerful participant
- The less equal encounter