1. What did Giles's 'matched guise' experiment find?
- An RP accent was found to be rated with higher intelligence and authority
- A regional accent was found to be rated with higher intelligence and authority
- A regional accent makes you appear to have a higher status
- A RP accent makes you appear to have a lower status
1 of 8
Other questions in this quiz
2. Which of these is not one of Robin Lakoff's politeness frameworks?
- TAKE TURNS
- BE FRIENDLY
- DON'T IMPOSE
- GIVE OPTIONS
3. If you were the submissive talker in a conversation, what would you be according to Fairclough?
- The non-powerful participant
- The powerful participant
- The equal encounter
- The less equal encounter
4. Instrumental power is...
- where the audience actually has power due to their position
- where the writer/speaker actually has power due to their position
- where the audience must try and persuade the speaker
- where the writer/speaker must try and persuade the audience
5. Labov's research highlighted the issue of convergence- what is this?
- Changing your dialect to make people think you are more educated
- Forming a group based on similar speech styles
- Changing our speech style to fit in with a certain group
- Being friends with people of a similar dialect to you