1. A break from the pattern which is set up in the text is known as what?
- Internal Deviation
- External Deviation
1 of 8
Other questions in this quiz
2. What is a euphemism and can you give an example?
- a more socially acceptable word or phrase, e.g. passed away instead of dead
- using a blunt or direct word instead of a more polite or indirect alternative e.g. elephantine instead of fat
3. Prosodics is the study of what?
- How speakers can shape meanings through emphasising certain aspects of intonation, speed and volume
- The area of study that refers to the more abstract sound system
- The area of study concerned with investigating how sounds are actually produced by language users
4. Cosmetic Surgery is an example of a what?
5. What is the definition that describes the distinctive features an individual's particular language or speech patterns that marks them out as an individual?