1. What is a euphemism and can you give an example?
- a more socially acceptable word or phrase, e.g. passed away instead of dead
- using a blunt or direct word instead of a more polite or indirect alternative e.g. elephantine instead of fat
1 of 8
Other questions in this quiz
2. A break from the pattern which is set up in the text is known as what?
- Internal Deviation
- External Deviation
3. Prosodics is the study of what?
- The area of study concerned with investigating how sounds are actually produced by language users
- How speakers can shape meanings through emphasising certain aspects of intonation, speed and volume
- The area of study that refers to the more abstract sound system
4. A verbal pointing word that situate a speaker or writer in relation to what is said and are therefore context-bound e.g. here, there, this, that
- Discourse Marker
- Conversational Repair
5. Cosmetic Surgery is an example of a what?