1. A break from the pattern which is set up in the text is known as what?
- Internal Deviation
- External Deviation
1 of 8
Other questions in this quiz
2. Cosmetic Surgery is an example of a what?
3. What is an ellipsis
- a word or phrase that returns the conversation to a previous topic
- The omission of words for economical reasons or because the context means that the person listening understands the shortened utterance
- A series of dots
4. Prosodics is the study of what?
- How speakers can shape meanings through emphasising certain aspects of intonation, speed and volume
- The area of study that refers to the more abstract sound system
- The area of study concerned with investigating how sounds are actually produced by language users
5. What is a euphemism and can you give an example?
- a more socially acceptable word or phrase, e.g. passed away instead of dead
- using a blunt or direct word instead of a more polite or indirect alternative e.g. elephantine instead of fat