1. What was the 1570s pamphlet 'Leicester's Commonwealth'?
- It claimed Leicester dominated England with his 'Puritan Faction' and controlled the Privy Council and the Queen
- It was written by Catholic Propagandists, attacking Elizabeth for favoritising Leicester
- It made the Cecil-Leicester rivalry publicly known
1 of 20
Other questions in this quiz
2. Who believes Elizabeth could not control her factions and that "civil war seemed the likely outcome"?
- John Neale
- David Loades
- Christopher Haigh
- Wallace MacCaffrey
3. When did Elizabeth become engaged to the Duke of Anjou?
4. When did Elizabeth fall ill with smallpox?
5. How much was the Marian debt that Parliament cleared?