1. What did Becker find in her study?
- Found that teachers were one of the reasons that the 'self-fulfilling prophecy' occured due to them subconciously helping students that seemed smarter or looked like the 'idea pupil' (Middle Class)
- Found that teachers used stereotypical notions of 'ability' to stream pupils and found that teachers are less likely to see W/C students as having ability, as a result placing them in lower streams
- Found that teachers judged pupils depending on how closely they fitted their image of the 'ideal student'
- Found that Teachers placed students in groups depending on their background and apprearance
1 of 18
Other questions in this quiz
2. What is the Marxist perspective on the labelling theory?
- They criticise it for ignoring the wider structures of power within which labelling takes place. Labelling isn't just teachers prejudices but stem from the fact teachers work in a system of class divisions
- They like the labelling theory and agree with it on all levels
- They agree with it because of the fact that labelling occurs in the workplace as well as in schools due to capitalism forcing labelling upon us
- They don't have any opinion on the subject
3. What sociologist studied an American Kindergarten?
- Gillborn + Youdell
- Rostenthal + Jacobson
4. What sociologist suggests that there are other responses instead of a subculture?
- Peter Woods
- John Furlong
5. What is the correct definition of labelling?
- The process of attaching an interpretation to a group or individual
- The process of labelling an individual or group
- The process of attaching a definition or meaning to an individual or group
- Labelling an individual or a group
Similar Sociology resources: