Skip to content
Back to quiz
6. Cohen talks about the explanations of non-utilitarian crime whereas Merton fails to provide this. True or False
7. Merton argued about the American Dream. What is the American Dream?
- Monetary Success
- Achieving to become an American.
8. Right Realists offer practical solutions. They suggest two measures. What are one of the measures?
- Target Hardening
- Zero Tolerance
- Public and Informal Control
- Police and Formal Control
9. Cohen agrees with Merton that mainstream value of success creates problems for the working class boys. Many fail and therefore drop out of school and turn to delinquent activity. True or False?
10. Which sociologists talk about Culture and Socialisation?
- Cornish and Clarke
- Wilson and Hernstein
- Jock Young
11. Durkheim argues that crime acts as a safety valve that it does not affect institutions such as prostitution in the family. This still applies to today. True or False
12. Which sociologist argued that crime happens because of labelling?
13. The Labelling Theory Is Linked To What Theory?
14. Marxists - Crime is systematically generated by what...?
- Working Class Males
15. Miller's theory on crime is outdated because there are now more gadgets such as GTA in which we get thrill from this. Is this weakness true or false?
16. What does Cohen argue about in the subcultural theory?
- American Dream.
- Delinquent behaviour among young people.
- Focal concerns.
- Three subcultures.
17. The Marxist theory of crime can be linked to what theory?
- Subcultural Theory
- Functionalist Theory
- Feminist Theory
18. Which theory is seen as criticising other theories?
19. Cloward and Ohlin and Cohen talk about crime that is non-utilitarian. In addition, Miller could explain this too. Is this true?
20. People have reached the American Dream and have not committed crime. True or false.
- False - Merton cannot explain those who have conformed to goals, norms and values.
- True - Merton makes clear that if people reach the American Dream, they won't commit crime at all because they have conformed.