1. What did Lemert (1972) make a distinction between?
- secondary and tertiary deviance
- primary and secondary deviance
- primary and tertiary deviance
1 of 20
Other questions in this quiz
2. What happened to the middle class minority who were arrested in Cicourel's study?
- They were councelled, cautioned or charged by juvenile offers
- They were councelled, cautioned and released by juvenile officers
- They were councelled, cautioned and released by senior officers
3. Who represented a new approach, labelling theory, within Sociology?
- Howard Becker
- Aaron Cicourel
- Edwin Lemert
4. Who did Jock Young study?
- Hippie Marihuana users in Notting Hill during the 1960s
- Hippie Marihuana users in Notting Hill during the 1930s
- Hippie Marihuana users in London during the 1990s
5. One advantage of labelling theory is...
- It fails to explain why certain types of people are selected as likely deviants but not others
- It shows that labelling results from the perceptions of the agents of social control
- According to Becker, social groups create deviance by making rules whose infraction causes deviance, but who are these peoplle who make rules and why do they make them?