1. According to Merton what is the common goal for all of society?
- Equality of educational achievement
- A happy and cohesive family
- Economic and material wealth.
- Equality for all individuals
1 of 7
Other questions in this quiz
2. Overall, what is Mertons theory?
- We all follow a set of norms, those who do not agree to these, deviate away from it and creates crime.
- The formation of subcultures and the poor relationship between us and them is what creates crime.
- Crime is evidence for a poor fit between socially accepted goals and the socially acceptable means of achieving these goals.
- It is the ruling class power and exploitation of the working class that creates anger and deviance.
3. According to Merton , what is the common means to achieve this goal?
- Beating everyone in the job market
- Hardwork and educational achievement
- Supporting and helping one another
- Go to university
4. According to Hirschi, what are the 4 crucial bonds that binds us together?
- Commitment, law, ethics, international relations.
- Attachment, commitment, involvement, belief.
- Attachment, commitment, ethics, law
- Belief, ethics, commitment, involvement.
5. In Durkheims theory, what does re-affirming the boundaries mean?
- Some crime can act as a pressure release for workers.
- When someone breaks the law, the resulting court sentence and publicity re-affirms the existing values.
- Where an entire community comes together after a horrific crime and creates a sense of belonging, strengthening the community.
- When someone who is breaking the law is treated with sympathy at the court, the public outcry to this would symbolise changing values.