1. Who came up with the idea of the 'Subaltern': A minority group that is outside of the hegemonic block or pushed to the margins of society.
- Friedrich Nietzsche
- Antonio Gramsci
- Edward Siad
- Roland Barthes
1 of 8
Other questions in this quiz
2. Which one of these is a postcolonialist concept?
3. Which of these Marxist theories belongs to Karl Marx?
- Dominant Ideology: A philosophy followed by everyone / the masses / society. Allows the bourgeoisie to stay in power through hegemony (Gramsci).
- 'Invisible Hand': A metaphor to show how consumers are guided by their own self-interest. Individuals can make profit, and maximize it without the need for government intervention.
- Commodity Fetishism: People fixate on money and commodities - they are fetishes that prevent the prolatariat from seeing the truth about economics and society; that one class is being exploited by another.
- Narcotizing Dysfunction The bourgeoisie use mass media to trick society into thinking they are acting against something unjust, when really they are just being fed information on the subject.
4. What is the correct definition of 'narrative'?
- The underlying 'voice' of a text interpretted by the author.
- Concerned with how we understand the world.
- How meanings are structured as stories.
- The way in which a text positions the reader.
5. Which of these is the correct definition of 'bricolage'
- Comes from the collapse of cultural value. It's the recycling of old, historical ideas, language and products to often create a new, sometimes subversive, meaning and context.
- The idea that some texts can be superficial. They are based more on appearance rather than meaning.
- The belief that Western society rejects metanarratives because we have become obssessed with knowledge at the base of all truth.
- The idea that the author's original intentions are irrelevant. The only thing that matters is how the audience interprets the text themselves. "A text is a tissue of quotations... Drawn from inumerable centres of culture."