1. Complete the postmodernist statement: 'Modern culture is so _____ and _____.'
- Technological and Contemporary
- Meaningless and Meaningful
- Fragmented and Diverse
- Competative and Greedy
1 of 9
Other questions in this quiz
2. Which one of these is a postcolonialist concept?
3. Who came up with the idea of the 'Subaltern': A minority group that is outside of the hegemonic block or pushed to the margins of society.
- Roland Barthes
- Edward Siad
- Antonio Gramsci
- Friedrich Nietzsche
4. What is the correct definition of 'narrative'?
- Concerned with how we understand the world.
- The way in which a text positions the reader.
- How meanings are structured as stories.
- The underlying 'voice' of a text interpretted by the author.
5. Which of these theories belongs to Naomi Wolf?
- The Beauty Myth: The media attacks women's bodies by representing impossible idea selves to aspire towards.
- The Queer Theory: Rejects the idea that sex is biological and attacks the binary opposites of men/women gay/straight. Identity is fluid and dynamic.
- The Female Eunuch: Claimed that women are not 'free' in society, but were oppressed and exploited both consciously and unconsciously by men.
- The Male Gaze: Involved the example of Bond films. Argued that the passive, sexualised and objectified representation of women ecouraged both men and women to look at women as passive, sexual objects.