1. which of these is not a way to classify Colloids?
- Structure of colloid - Molecular (sungle large molecule eg. proteins/starch) or micellar (particles composed from smaller amphillic ones eg. soap/phospholipids
- Mobility of coloids eg solutions (free in their motion as in a true solution) and gel (particles arranged in a solid net e.g fibrin gel, gelatine
- Organic colloids - colloid particles (eg DNA, viruses, vesicles) or colloid systems(- blood plasma, lymph, cytosol)
- Interaction with water - hydrophobic and hydrophillic
1 of 8
Other questions in this quiz
2. what is a protective colloid?
- A protective colloid are substances that form a hydrophilic colloid solution stabilizing the hydrophobic colloid particles.
- proteins in the blood are protective colloids of Calcium phosphate and calcium carbonate leading to its precipitation (forming gall stones)
- A protective colloid are substances that form a hydrophobic colloid solution stabilizing the hydrophillic colloid particles.
- A stubstance that specifically stabilises emulsions eg glycocholic (facilate absorption of dietary lipids)
3. which is not true?
- there are 4 types of surfactants - anion, cationic, amphoteric, non ionic
- surfactants are compounds that increase surface tension (adhesive and cohesive forces)
- when the monomer conc > CMC then a micelle is formed
- Thin layer chromatography - separates substances with different affinity to 2 phases (staionary and mobile phase)
4. In the venule end which type of pressure is higher?
- Blood pressure > Oncotic pressure so tissue fluid leaves the cappillaries
- Blood pressure > Oncotic pressure so tissue fluid returns back into the cappillaries
- Blood pressure < Oncotic pressure so tissue fluid returns back into the cappillaries
- Blood pressure < Oncotic pressure so tissue fluid leaves the cappillaries
5. which of these is not a feature of a colloid?
- Can be separated by electrophoresis because they often carry a charge
- > 500nm
- Allows dialysis
- settles by ultracentrifugation - cannot use filtration
- Contributes to the oncotic pressure
- Because of their large size- they can induce light diffusion
- Can be seen by electric microscope
- Optical feature: Opalescent