1. Which purpose of the gel is correct?
- Silica gel - chromatography, drying
- Agarose gel - electrophoretic separation of protiens
- polyacrylamind gel - electrophoretic separation of nucleic acids
1 of 8
Other questions in this quiz
2. Which of these will increase stabilization of a colloid particle?
- Changing the Ph to its isoelectric point for amphoteric colloid particles like proteins
- Add a little salt (eg. increases solubility of globulins)
- Adding water soluble organic solvent (destroys the lyosphere)
- Adding the ionic strength by adding
3. which is not true?
- there are 4 types of surfactants - anion, cationic, amphoteric, non ionic
- Thin layer chromatography - separates substances with different affinity to 2 phases (staionary and mobile phase)
- surfactants are compounds that increase surface tension (adhesive and cohesive forces)
- when the monomer conc > CMC then a micelle is formed
4. which of these is not a way to classify Colloids?
- Structure of colloid - Molecular (sungle large molecule eg. proteins/starch) or micellar (particles composed from smaller amphillic ones eg. soap/phospholipids
- Mobility of coloids eg solutions (free in their motion as in a true solution) and gel (particles arranged in a solid net e.g fibrin gel, gelatine
- Organic colloids - colloid particles (eg DNA, viruses, vesicles) or colloid systems(- blood plasma, lymph, cytosol)
- Interaction with water - hydrophobic and hydrophillic
5. which of these is not a feature of a colloid?
- Because of their large size- they can induce light diffusion
- > 500nm
- Can be seen by electric microscope
- Can be separated by electrophoresis because they often carry a charge
- Allows dialysis
- settles by ultracentrifugation - cannot use filtration
- Contributes to the oncotic pressure
- Optical feature: Opalescent