1. which of these is not a feature of a colloid?
- Optical feature: Opalescent
- Can be separated by electrophoresis because they often carry a charge
- Contributes to the oncotic pressure
- Because of their large size- they can induce light diffusion
- > 500nm
- Can be seen by electric microscope
- settles by ultracentrifugation - cannot use filtration
- Allows dialysis
1 of 8
Other questions in this quiz
2. which is not true?
- there are 4 types of surfactants - anion, cationic, amphoteric, non ionic
- Thin layer chromatography - separates substances with different affinity to 2 phases (staionary and mobile phase)
- surfactants are compounds that increase surface tension (adhesive and cohesive forces)
- when the monomer conc > CMC then a micelle is formed
3. In the venule end which type of pressure is higher?
- Blood pressure < Oncotic pressure so tissue fluid returns back into the cappillaries
- Blood pressure > Oncotic pressure so tissue fluid leaves the cappillaries
- Blood pressure > Oncotic pressure so tissue fluid returns back into the cappillaries
- Blood pressure < Oncotic pressure so tissue fluid leaves the cappillaries
4. Which of these will increase stabilization of a colloid particle?
- Adding the ionic strength by adding
- Adding water soluble organic solvent (destroys the lyosphere)
- Add a little salt (eg. increases solubility of globulins)
- Changing the Ph to its isoelectric point for amphoteric colloid particles like proteins
5. Which purpose of the gel is correct?
- Silica gel - chromatography, drying
- Agarose gel - electrophoretic separation of protiens
- polyacrylamind gel - electrophoretic separation of nucleic acids