1. Name the stationary phase in thin layer chromatography?
- inert gas
- liquid solvent
- thin layer of adsorbent on inert support
- thin layer of solid inside capillary tubing
1 of 10
Other questions in this quiz
2. Which is NOT a use of GC-MS?
- drug testing
- airport security
- treatment of strokes
- forensic analysis
3. Which is NOT a limitation of gas chromatography?
- substances have the same retention times
- unknown compounds have no reference retention time
- unknown compounds have no reference Rf value
- substances can 'hide' beneath each other so will not be detected
4. What does a liquid stationary phase separate by?
- relative solubility
5. What is the definition of retention time?
- the time taken for the gas to be injected into the column and dissolve in the stationary phase
- distance moved by component divided by distance moved my solvent front
- the time taken for a particular compound to travel through the column to the detector, from injection to leaving the column
- the time taken for a particular compound to dissolve in the stationary phase