1. What does a liquid stationary phase separate by?
- relative solubility
1 of 10
Other questions in this quiz
2. Which is NOT a limitation of gas chromatography?
- substances can 'hide' beneath each other so will not be detected
- unknown compounds have no reference Rf value
- unknown compounds have no reference retention time
- substances have the same retention times
3. Which is NOT a limitation of thin layer chromatography?
- similar compounds have similar retention times
- may be difficult to find a solvent which will separate all components
- similar compounds have similar Rf values
- unknown compounds have no Rf value for comparison
4. What is the benefit of coupling gas chromatography with mass spectrometry
- mass spectroscopy separates the compounds and retention times can be compared to a database
- gas chromatography separates compounds and mass spectra can be compared to a database
- both the retention time and mass spectra can be used to improve the reliability of the identification
5. Which is NOT a use of GC-MS?
- treatment of strokes
- drug testing
- airport security
- forensic analysis