1. Which is NOT a use of GC-MS?
- treatment of strokes
- drug testing
- airport security
- forensic analysis
1 of 10
Other questions in this quiz
2. Which is NOT a limitation of thin layer chromatography?
- similar compounds have similar retention times
- may be difficult to find a solvent which will separate all components
- similar compounds have similar Rf values
- unknown compounds have no Rf value for comparison
3. What is the definition of retention time?
- the time taken for a particular compound to travel through the column to the detector, from injection to leaving the column
- distance moved by component divided by distance moved my solvent front
- the time taken for a particular compound to dissolve in the stationary phase
- the time taken for the gas to be injected into the column and dissolve in the stationary phase
4. What does a solid stationary phase separate compounds by?
- relative solubility
5. Which is NOT a limitation of gas chromatography?
- substances have the same retention times
- unknown compounds have no reference Rf value
- substances can 'hide' beneath each other so will not be detected
- unknown compounds have no reference retention time