1. What is the correct definition of an Rf value?
- distance moved by component plus the distance moved my solvent front
- distance moved by component divided by distance moved my solvent front
- distance moved by solvent front multiplied by distance moved by component
- distance moved by solvent front divided by distance moved by component
1 of 10
Other questions in this quiz
2. What does a solid stationary phase separate compounds by?
- relative solubility
3. Which is NOT a use of GC-MS?
- forensic analysis
- drug testing
- treatment of strokes
- airport security
4. Which is NOT a limitation of thin layer chromatography?
- similar compounds have similar retention times
- similar compounds have similar Rf values
- unknown compounds have no Rf value for comparison
- may be difficult to find a solvent which will separate all components
5. What is the benefit of coupling gas chromatography with mass spectrometry
- mass spectroscopy separates the compounds and retention times can be compared to a database
- gas chromatography separates compounds and mass spectra can be compared to a database
- both the retention time and mass spectra can be used to improve the reliability of the identification