1. Name the stationary phase in thin layer chromatography?
- inert gas
- liquid solvent
- thin layer of adsorbent on inert support
- thin layer of solid inside capillary tubing
1 of 10
Other questions in this quiz
2. Which is NOT a limitation of gas chromatography?
- substances can 'hide' beneath each other so will not be detected
- unknown compounds have no reference Rf value
- unknown compounds have no reference retention time
- substances have the same retention times
3. What is the benefit of coupling gas chromatography with mass spectrometry
- gas chromatography separates compounds and mass spectra can be compared to a database
- both the retention time and mass spectra can be used to improve the reliability of the identification
- mass spectroscopy separates the compounds and retention times can be compared to a database
4. Which is NOT a use of GC-MS?
- treatment of strokes
- drug testing
- airport security
- forensic analysis
5. What is the definition of retention time?
- the time taken for the gas to be injected into the column and dissolve in the stationary phase
- the time taken for a particular compound to travel through the column to the detector, from injection to leaving the column
- the time taken for a particular compound to dissolve in the stationary phase
- distance moved by component divided by distance moved my solvent front