1. According to the Aufbau principle when does the 4s sub-shell fill?
- at the same time as the orbitals in the 3d sub-shell
- before the orbitals in the 3d sub-shell
- after the orbitals in the 3d sub-shell
- it doesn't fill at all
1 of 12
Other questions in this quiz
2. The Periodic Table is structured in blocks of 2,6,10 and 14 elements, linked to....
3. Using the structured blocks, you can work out the electronic configurationof any element using the Periodic Table. Oxygen is the 4th element in the 2p-block. What would be its electonic configuration?
- 1s^2 1s^2 2p^4
- 1s^2 2s^2 2p^6
- (^ indicates subscript) 1s^2 2s^2 2p^4
- 1s^2 2s^2 2p^3
4. How can the electronic configuration be abbreviated?
- it can not be abbreviated
- to show just the outer shell of the element
- to show just the inner shell of the element
- to show the last half of its electronic configuration
5. When positive ions are formed, what happens to the electrons in the highest energy orbitals?
- the number of the electrons is doubled
- electrons are added
- electrons are removed
- the number of electrons stays the same
Similar Chemistry resources: