1. Name the main element that makes up coal.
- Carbon dioxide.
1 of 20
Other questions in this quiz
2. What atoms make up carbon monoxide? Under what conditions is carbon monoxide produced?
- ONE carbon and ONE oxygen atom. When there's not enough carbon available when fuels burn.
- ONE carbon and ONE oxygen atom. When there's not enough oxygen available when fuels burn.
- TWO carbon and ONE oxygen atom. When there's not enough sulfur available when fuels burn.
- THREE carbon and THREE oxygen atoms. When there's not enough oxygen available when fuels burn.
3. What effects does acid rain have on the environment?
- It only effects human beings.
- Lakes become acidic and kill plants and animals, it kills trees and damages buildings and statues made from certain types of stone (e.g limestone)
- It doesn't effect the environment the acid is so weak it doesn't damage anything.
- It only really kills trees because the acid is very weak.
4. Describe how nitrogen dioxide is produced when fossil fuels are burnt.
- Fossil fuels burn and create excess nitrogen so it's put in a combiner and turned into nitrogen dioxide for experiments.
- Fuels in a car engine burn and create nitrogen monoxide, then once the nitrogen monoxide reacts with more nitrogen in the atmosphere is turns into nitrogen dioxide.
- Fuels in a car engine burn and create nitrogen monoxide, then once the carbon monoxide is in the air it will react with oxygen to give nitrogen dioxide.
- Fossil fuels are burnt and creates nitrogen. The nitrogen reacts with oxygen in the air and creates nitrogen dioxide.
5. How do MOT tests help combat air pollution?
- They can show you what types of things can be attached to your car to reduce the pollution.
- They can clear out any problems that will cause more pollutants to be created in the engine of the car.
- Cars emissions can be checked and people may be fined for producing to many pollutants.
- They can show why your car produces so much pollution.