1. What are particles of carbon otherwise known as and what kind of pollution do they cause?
- Carbon particles and they cause acid rain.
- Particulate carbon and they cause soot.
- Carbon particles and they cause soot.
- Particulate carbon and they cause acid rain.
1 of 20
Other questions in this quiz
2. Describe how nitrogen dioxide is produced when fossil fuels are burnt.
- Fossil fuels burn and create excess nitrogen so it's put in a combiner and turned into nitrogen dioxide for experiments.
- Fuels in a car engine burn and create nitrogen monoxide, then once the nitrogen monoxide reacts with more nitrogen in the atmosphere is turns into nitrogen dioxide.
- Fuels in a car engine burn and create nitrogen monoxide, then once the carbon monoxide is in the air it will react with oxygen to give nitrogen dioxide.
- Fossil fuels are burnt and creates nitrogen. The nitrogen reacts with oxygen in the air and creates nitrogen dioxide.
3. Describe briefly how the pollutant sulfur dioxide is produced.
- Sulfur dioxide can be given off from the reactants of tobacco in cigarettes.
- When fuels containing sulfur burn the sulfur burns too and the atoms combine with nitrates in the air which produce sulfur dioxide.
- When fuels containing sulfur burn the sulfur burns too and the atoms combine with the oxygen in the air to produce sulfur dioxide.
- When fuels burn they automatically give off sulfur dioxide.
4. Give the formulas of nitrogen monoxide and nitrogen dioxide.
- Nitrogen monoxide= PO, nitrogen dioxide= NO
- Nitrogen monoxide= NO, nitrogen dioxide= NO^2.
- Nitrogen monoxide= NOO, nitrogen dioxide = NONONON
- Nitrogen monoxide= NO^2, nitrogen dioxide= NO
5. Name the main element that makes up coal.
- Carbon dioxide.