1. Define mitosis
- nuclear division that results in the formation of cells that are not genetically identical to the parent cell
- the third stage of nuclear division
- nuclear division that results in the formation of cells that are genetically identical to the parent cell
- a type of cell division that results in four daughter cells each with half the number of chromosomes of the parent cell, as in the production of gametes and plant spores.
1 of 20
Other questions in this quiz
2. what is the effect of a hypertonic solution on an animal cell?
- net movement of water molecules is into the cell, causing it to burst.
- net movement of water is out of the cell, causing it to become flaccid, and the cytoplasm to pull away from the cell wall, so that it is plasmolysed
- net movement of water is out of the cell, causing it to shrink
- water molecules move into and out of the cell in equal amounts, resulting in no changes to the cell.
3. define division of labour?
- each type of organelle has a specific role within the cell
- equal amount of work for each organelle
- amount of work an organelle does
- what organelle completes what function
4. Diffusion is the movement of molecules against it's concentration gradient, using energy in the form of ATP, and transport proteins
- False - the passive movement of molecules across membranes, down their concentration gradient, which is aided by carrier protein molecules.
- False - the movement of molecules down a concentration gradient, from an area of high concentration, to an area of low concentration.
- False - the movement of water molecules from a region of higher water potential, to a region of lower water potential, across a partially permeable membrane
5. chloroplasts have 2 membranes, with flattened sacs called thylakoids and stacks of thylakoids called granum