1. Which of these statements are true?
- Yeast uses mitosis to bud and make a new organism
- Meiosis produces genetically different cells
- Stem cells are undifferentiated cells that are not capable to differentiating into a number of different types of cells
- Homologous chromosomes are chromosomes that don't have different versions of a gene at the same locus
1 of 20
Other questions in this quiz
2. Which of these is not correct?
- Cytokinesis - Cytoplasm spilts to make two genetically different cells
- Anaphase- Centromeres split and the chromatids move to the poles of the cell
- Telophase - Chromatids have reached the poles, nuclear envelope reforms and chromosomes begin to unravel
- Prophase - Supercoiling of chromosomes, nuclear envelope breakdown, spindle forms
- Metaphase -Chromosomes line up at equator of cell, with the spindle attached at the centromere
3. What effect does heat not have on the plasma membrane?
- Channel proteins start to denature leaving big gaps in the cell membrane
- Molecules vibrate less so less molecules come through
- Molecules vibrate more, leaving temporary gaps in the phospholipid bilayer
4. What is cell signalling not used for?
- Drugs like beta- blockers or aspirin will bind to certain receptors on cells
- Some drugs that treat depression like diazepan mimic a neurotransmitter
- Movement of molecules from an area of high concentration to low
- Hormones will attach to a receptor of target cells and internal response is triggered
5. What is facilitated diffusion?
- Vesicles moving large amount of substance in and out of the cell via ATP
- Net movement of water from high water potential to low water potential
- Channel proteins provide pathways for charged molecules or those that are too big,
- Movement of ion across membranes through protein pumps that use ATP to move within the mebrane