1. Why are alloys stronger and harder than pure metals?
- The added metal is harder than the original metal.
- The atoms are now bigger so there is less room to move.
- Different sized atoms disrupt the regular arrangement of atoms and so the layers cannot slide over each other.
- Different types of free electrons repel each other and so keep the metal in a certain shape.
1 of 13
Other questions in this quiz
2. In an ion, the number of electrons equals the number of protons
3. Which of these chemical symbols is incorrect?
- Osmium - Os
- Tungsten - Tg
- Potassium - K
- Silver - Ag
4. What method is used to separate crude oil?
- Fractional distillation
- Thermal decomposition
5. What does limestone thermally decompose to form?
- Calcium dioxide and carbon dioxide
- Calcium oxide and carbon dioxide
- Calcium dioxide and carbon monoxide
- Calcium oxide and water