the teaching of the Buddha
1 of 18
the world of suffering
2 of 18
understanding the truth about life
3 of 18
phrases that Buddhists chant
4 of 18
1. The belief that, after death, souls are rebron into a new body. 2. Actions in life (karma) determine the consequences in the next life. 3. The Buddha taught that souls move from one life to the next.
5 of 18
1. Nothing lasts forever, even suffering. 2. Everything changes and dies and the Buddha taught life can never satisfy us. 3. There is no permenant self; the body grows and mind develops.
6 of 18
1. A state of perfect peace where greed, hatred and ignorance are overcome. 2. It can only be reached once you are enlightened. 3. When achieveing it, a person can live in contentment.
7 of 18
1. The idea that actions have consequences. 2. It impacts reincarnation. 3. It isn't a law but a matter of cause and effect.
8 of 18
What are the Five Precepts?
1. I will avoid taking life. 2. I will will avoid taking what is not given. 3. I will avoid harmful sexual activity. 4. I will avoid saying what is not true. 5. I will avoid clouding my mind with alcohol or drugs.
9 of 18
Why are the Five Precepts useful? REASON 1
They give Buddhists guidelines for how to live and be aware of their actions and the consequences of them.
10 of 18
Why are the Five Precepts useful? REASON 2
They help Buddhists to avoid actions that will bring about harmful results.
11 of 18
Why are the Five Precepts useful? REASON 3
They show the awareness of the world around you and how you respond to that.
12 of 18
What is the concept of the Eightfold Path?
A set of 8 steps Buddhists should aim to follow to live a Buddhist way of life.
13 of 18
What is the Eightfold Path?
1. Right view 2. Right intention 3. Right speech 4. Right action 5. Right livelihood 6. Right effort 7. Right mindfulness 8. Right contemplation
14 of 18
What is meditation?
A method of calming and training the mind.
15 of 18
Why do Buddhists meditate? REASON 1
It helps them become more aware of themselves and others. It is a fulfilment of the Eightfold Path
16 of 18
Why do Buddhists meditate? REASON 2
It helps eliminate stress and make people feel content.
17 of 18
Why do Buddhists meditate? REASON 3
It helps them see the truth in life. For example some Buddhists meditate on images like a flower, which signifies impermanence.
18 of 18
Other cards in this set
the world of suffering