1. When was Bangladesh's worst ever flood?
- Between July and September of 1998
1 of 5
Other questions in this quiz
2. What were the Statistics?
- 10 people killed
- 0 deaths, one injury - broken thumb. 60mm of rain fell in 2hours. 3 million cumecs of water swept through the village. 58 houses flooded, 30 cars swept out to sea and 6 properties destroyed.
- everything destroyed
3. What were the natural factors increasing Flood risk?
- Delta bringing together 2 major rivers, The gangee and the Brahmaputra, low lying country with 70% of land less than 1m above sea level. Monsoon climate,
- Anything else
4. What were the short term affects?
- conflict over clean water
- Lots of death
- Lots of property destroyed including 20 hotels which decreased the amount of tourism. Schemes made to put flood defences in place.
- Disease spread
5. Causes of flooding in Boscastle?
- Narrow floodplain, confluence of 3 rivers, flash flood, ground was already saturated, steep valley with Boscastle situated at bottom, village bridge restricted the flow of water.
- Storm surge