1. Briefly describe what happens during glycolysis?
- Glucose molecule is split into 2 3-carbon pyruvate molecules
- Pyruvate is split into CO2 and a 2-carbon molecule called acetylco-A
- Acetylco-A is introduced into a cycle of oxidation-reduction reactions that yield some ATP and a large number of electrons
- Electrons are used to synthesise ATP, producing water as a by-product
1 of 20
Other questions in this quiz
2. What is the formula for calculating percentage population growth?
- (Births + immigration) - (deaths + emigration)
- (Population change during period / population at the start of the period) x 100
- (total number of individuals in the first sample) x (total number of individuals in the second sample) / number of marked individuals recaptured
3. Which type of reaction is used to re-form ATP from ADP + Pi?
4. This type of competition occurs when individuals of different species compete for resources
5. This type of competition occurs when individuals of the same species compete for resources
Similar Biology resources: