1. Give one A01 approach to the role of genes and hormones in gender development in females.
- Quadagno found that female monkeys exposed to testosterone were more aggressive
- Without the Y chromosome the testes do not develop and instead ovaries do, which produce oestrogen and stimulate puberty in females.
- The absence of testosterone causes oestrogen to be produced and puberty to be triggered.
- Testosterone triggers puberty in females.
1 of 12
Other questions in this quiz
2. What is the David Reimer case study?
- Chromosomal male (Bruce) suffered a botched circumcision and was raised a female (Brenda) before re-assigning himself back to male after puberty
- David Reimer was assigned the female gender after being born chromosomally male and the case was successful, with David remaining female.
- Chromosomal female (Brenda) was raised as a male due to ambiguous genitals.
- David Reimer studied a psychologist, Dr Money.
3. What is the empathising-systemising theory?
- Proposes that women are good at empathising (dealing with and expressing emotion) and men are good at systemising (constructing systems and reacting logically)
- Proposes that men are good at empathising (dealing with and expressing emotion) and women are good at systemising (constructing systems and reacting logically)
- Suggests that men and women's brains both work by empathising and stymieing equally.
- Suggests these attributes have nothing to do with gender.
4. What did Reiner and Gearheart (2004) study?
- The Batista family
- Chromosomal males born with no penis (found that of 14 raised female, half re-assigned themselves by puberty)
- Girls born with CAH (exposed to testosterone) showed little difference in gender to a control group of non CAH girls.
5. What did Deady et al (2006) study?
- Of the 25 child-free women there was no difference in maternal drive.
- Looked at 25 child-free women and found those with higher testosterone had a higher maternal drive.
- Looked at 25 child-free women and those with higher testosterone had a lower maternal drive.
- Of 25 child free women those with high testosterone also had high oestrogen levels.