1. Which of the following, LEAST accurately describes aspects of totems and animism?
- Animism involves a belief in the agency of spirits
- Toteism is a belief that the sun and the moon and other celestial bodies are supernatural in nature
- Both are associated with tribal societies and are known as primal-indigenous
1 of 7
Other questions in this quiz
2. Which statement about secularization is LEAST accurate?
- In the future this would be private matter rather than public.
- Classical sociologists (e.g. Marx and Weber) disagreed on the extent to which science would usurp religion.
- secularization holds that as science is better able to origins the world; there would be a loss of faith in religion.
3. Which statement about the consequences of living in a "post modern society" is LEAST accurate?
- None - they are all accurate
- Post modernity has led to a rise in spiritual shopper; someone looks for personal fulfillment in religion rather than seeking ultimate truths.
- Postmodernity has lead to a decrease in the number of NRM, as people have lost faith in any religious narrative
- Traditional relious institutions have lost moral authority and are now less significant.
4. Which definition does NOT accurately describe an aspect of functional definitions of religion?
- An assumption is that religion is harmful to individuals and society
- these focus on the functions of religion
- logic that is that as religion is a product of society, it must be evaluated for the contribution to society.
5. Which Statement about Berger's analysis of religion is LEAST accurate?
- the metaphor that Berger uses is that of the "sacred canopy"; the idea that religion deceives its believers into being content with the world
- The idea that religion provides a theodicy.
- Analysis is interpretatist rather than structuralist
- All of them