1. Which Statement about Berger's analysis of religion is LEAST accurate?
- Analysis is interpretatist rather than structuralist
- All of them
- the metaphor that Berger uses is that of the "sacred canopy"; the idea that religion deceives its believers into being content with the world
- The idea that religion provides a theodicy.
1 of 7
Other questions in this quiz
2. Which statement about secularization is LEAST accurate?
- Classical sociologists (e.g. Marx and Weber) disagreed on the extent to which science would usurp religion.
- secularization holds that as science is better able to origins the world; there would be a loss of faith in religion.
- In the future this would be private matter rather than public.
3. which of the following statements LEAST accurately describes aspects of polythethic and monotheistic religion?
- With polytheistic religions, there are many different gods
- all the major religions are monotheistic in nature
- they both share a belief in the sacred, an element of faith in the supernatural rather than the evidence
4. Which definition does NOT accurately describe an aspect of functional definitions of religion?
- An assumption is that religion is harmful to individuals and society
- these focus on the functions of religion
- logic that is that as religion is a product of society, it must be evaluated for the contribution to society.
5. Which statement about the consequences of living in a "post modern society" is LEAST accurate?
- Postmodernity has lead to a decrease in the number of NRM, as people have lost faith in any religious narrative
- Post modernity has led to a rise in spiritual shopper; someone looks for personal fulfillment in religion rather than seeking ultimate truths.
- Traditional relious institutions have lost moral authority and are now less significant.
- None - they are all accurate