1. which of the following statements LEAST accurately describes aspects of polythethic and monotheistic religion?
- all the major religions are monotheistic in nature
- they both share a belief in the sacred, an element of faith in the supernatural rather than the evidence
- With polytheistic religions, there are many different gods
1 of 7
Other questions in this quiz
2. Which statement about secularization is LEAST accurate?
- In the future this would be private matter rather than public.
- Classical sociologists (e.g. Marx and Weber) disagreed on the extent to which science would usurp religion.
- secularization holds that as science is better able to origins the world; there would be a loss of faith in religion.
3. Which statement about the consequences of living in a "post modern society" is LEAST accurate?
- None - they are all accurate
- Postmodernity has lead to a decrease in the number of NRM, as people have lost faith in any religious narrative
- Traditional relious institutions have lost moral authority and are now less significant.
- Post modernity has led to a rise in spiritual shopper; someone looks for personal fulfillment in religion rather than seeking ultimate truths.
4. What is the least accurate definition that describes an aspect of substansive definitions of religion?
- Substantive definitions excludes phenomena such as New Age Movements, Pagan beliefs and Voodoo magic.
- Taylor in 1903 is an example of a sociologist who advocated this definition.
- Definitions, focus on the exsistance of belief in spiritual beings
- Durkhiem was critical of these definitions as they were too vague and ill defined.
5. Which definition does NOT accurately describe an aspect of functional definitions of religion?
- logic that is that as religion is a product of society, it must be evaluated for the contribution to society.
- An assumption is that religion is harmful to individuals and society
- these focus on the functions of religion