1. Which two of these disaccharides are examples of reducing sugars?
- maltose, lactose
- maltose, sucrose
- sucrose, sucrase
1 of 18
Other questions in this quiz
2. Which of these is NOT a characteristic of monosaccharides?
- Solubility in non-polar substances
- Insolubility in non-polar substances
- They taste sweet
3. Which reaction occurs when a disaccharide is broken into two monosaccharides?
- A hydrolysis reaction
- A condensation reaction
4. How does the structure of cellulose (in straight chains) aid its function?
- Many polymers in a chain held by hydrogen bonds adds a lot of strength to cell walls supporting turgid cells
- The straight chains give plant cells more surface area to take up water and minerals
5. How does the structure of starch (spiral, compact) aid its function?
- It is insoluble, has no osmotic effect and you can store more of it
- It lines up to add strength to the molecule
Similar Biology resources: