1. Why were military generals and officers elected?
- The job required skill
- The members of the Assembly demanded it
- The job required general popularity
- The Assembly could not afford to fund the military
1 of 9
Other questions in this quiz
2. Which is the first accusation Aristophanes makes of Lamachus in the opening scene?
- Blackmailing the soldiers and citizens of Athens
- Earning a profit from his role as military general
- Beginning the War by stealing a Megarian slave
- Stealing food from the Athenians by making peace with Sparta
3. How does Aristophanes present Lamachus as a personification of war?
- Covered in cuts and bruises
- With one arm and two spears
- With a gorgon on his shield and feather plumes on his helmet
- With ten swords and a war horn
4. What does Lamachus' name mean?
- Great Fighter
- Cowardly Fighter
- King of the waves
- Bald Man
5. What does Aristophanes accuse Lamachus of second in the opening scene?
- Secretly making peace with the Spartans
- Staying at home and not going to fight at all
- Avoiding battle by going places where there was no fighting
- Blackmailing the members of the Assembly