- The entrance to a sacred enclosure
- The sacred image of the deity, usually fashioned out of wood
- The sacred enclosure around a temple
- A sacred pit, usually for votives or sacrifical remains
1 of 20
Other questions in this quiz
2. What buildings lie on the acropolis at Athens?
- The Hephaesteum, The Parthenon, The Propylaea, The Temple of Athena Nike
- The Parthenon, The Erechtheum, The Propylaea, The Temple of Athena Nike, The Temple of Zeus Olympios
- The Kerameikos, The Temple of Athena Nike, The Hephaesteum, The Propylaea, Eleusis
- Eleusis, The Parthenon, The Temple of Zeus Olympios, The Erechtheum
3. Define 'Emporion'?
- colony leader
- trading post
- a short plinth used to support a pedestal, sculpture or column
- a triangular shape, placed above the horizontal structure of the entablature, typically supported by columns
- a small water-repelling, cone-shaped projection used in the architrave
- the topmost member of a column
5. Where is the Greek colony of Metapontum located?
- West coast of Italy
- South coast of Italy
- East coast of Italy