1. Hedonism is an example of what?
- Grand Hierarchy
- Goal Attainment
1 of 11
Other questions in this quiz
2. Which of these is NOT a major criticism of Parson's theory (all others are)?
- He doesn't offer any framework for improving existing social systems.
- He provided no source of official statistics to prove his theory.
- Teleological - explains all institutions via their effect, not the cause.
- Postmodernists could argue modern society is far too complex to be seen as harmonious.
- Very conservative - ignores power of some to impose their goals and assumes consensus.
- Deterministic - he makes man (people) seem like cogs in a machine.
3. What is functional interdependence?
- A term to describe the correlation between educational achievement and social class.
- A term to describe how society depends upon individuals to exist.
- A term to describe how all social institutions rely on each other to work.
- A term to describe how individuals function within society itself.
4. Synoptic Link - Which one of these specifically thought the family would be classed as a 'functional prerequisite'.
- Ann Oakley
- Robert Merton
- George Murdock
- Charles Murray
5. What is a functional prerequisite?
- A type of social institution.
- A basic need [for society] to survive.
- A requirement [for people] to live.
- A method of interdependence.