1. An instrumental need is a "means to an end", what is an expressive need?
- Needs related to unnecessary parts of society.
- Needs related to emotional channelling.
- Needs related to the expressive arts.
- Needs that are imperative.
1 of 11
Other questions in this quiz
2. What is functional interdependence?
- A term to describe how society depends upon individuals to exist.
- A term to describe how individuals function within society itself.
- A term to describe how all social institutions rely on each other to work.
- A term to describe the correlation between educational achievement and social class.
3. What 4 essential prerequisites does society need to survive according to Parsons?
- Adaptation, Goal Attainment, Integration, Leaders
- Adaptation, Goal Attainment, Integration, Latency (Pattern Maintenance)
- Adaptation, Grand Hierarchy , Interconnectivity, Latency (Pattern Maintenance)
- Achievement, Goal Attainment, Interdependence, Latency (Pattern Maintenance)
4. What famous analogy does Parsons use to compare society with the human body?
- Functional Analogy
- Organic Analogy
- Institutional Analogy
- Warm Bath Analogy
5. Which of these is NOT a major criticism of Parson's theory (all others are)?
- Postmodernists could argue modern society is far too complex to be seen as harmonious.
- He provided no source of official statistics to prove his theory.
- Teleological - explains all institutions via their effect, not the cause.
- Very conservative - ignores power of some to impose their goals and assumes consensus.
- He doesn't offer any framework for improving existing social systems.
- Deterministic - he makes man (people) seem like cogs in a machine.