1. Hedonism is an example of what?
- Grand Hierarchy
- Goal Attainment
1 of 11
Other questions in this quiz
2. How does Parsons explain deviance?
- As a result of inadequate socialisation.
- As a result of excessive strain.
- As a result of a lack of functional prerequisites.
- As a result of traditional societies.
3. What 4 essential prerequisites does society need to survive according to Parsons?
- Adaptation, Goal Attainment, Integration, Leaders
- Adaptation, Goal Attainment, Integration, Latency (Pattern Maintenance)
- Adaptation, Grand Hierarchy , Interconnectivity, Latency (Pattern Maintenance)
- Achievement, Goal Attainment, Interdependence, Latency (Pattern Maintenance)
4. Which of these is NOT a major criticism of Parson's theory (all others are)?
- Teleological - explains all institutions via their effect, not the cause.
- Deterministic - he makes man (people) seem like cogs in a machine.
- Postmodernists could argue modern society is far too complex to be seen as harmonious.
- He doesn't offer any framework for improving existing social systems.
- He provided no source of official statistics to prove his theory.
- Very conservative - ignores power of some to impose their goals and assumes consensus.
5. What is a functional prerequisite?
- A type of social institution.
- A basic need [for society] to survive.
- A requirement [for people] to live.
- A method of interdependence.