1. Which of these is NOT a criticism of Merton's work (all others are)?
- It doesn't offer explanation for delinquent subcultures.
- He ignores the power of the ruling class to enforce laws that criminalise the poor, but not the rich.
- He provided no statistical evidence towards his theory.
- He used statistics at face value ("the tip of the iceberg").
- It can't explain why genocide, violence, vandalism etc. occur.
- He assumes value consensus on society's goals.
1 of 10
Other questions in this quiz
2. What is "Strain" a result of (according to Merton)?
- Conflict between cultural goals & means to achieve them.
- Conflict between primary socialisation & social institutions.
- Conflict between the ruling class & the working class.
- Conflict between legitimate means & illegitimate means.
3. Which of these groups of people would be classed as "Rebellions"?
- Dead-End Office Workers
- Drug Addicts
- The Under Class
4. Which of these is NOT a strain adaptation (all the others are) according to Merton?
5. What is the first name of the Sociologist who developed/created Strain Theory?