1. What is Retreatism?
- Where individuals drop out of society's expectations by abandoning cultural goals and legitimate means.
- Where individuals replace goals and means with their own ideals to try and reform society.
- Where individuals carry on using legitimate means, but no longer have any goals to aspire towards.
- Where individuals attempt to achieve a goal in society, but face too many barriers and retreat back to Ritualism.
1 of 10
Other questions in this quiz
2. What is the main issue with Merton's approach to Strain Adaptations?
- He failed to account for those of ethnic backgrounds.
- Individuals might be able to slot into more than 1 adaptation
- There are some people who don't fit into any adaptation.
- The difference between Rebellion/Retreatism is practically non-existent.
3. Which Sociological theory is Strain Theory associated with most often?
- Symbolic Interactionalism
4. Which of these groups of people would be classed as "Rebellions"?
- The Under Class
- Drug Addicts
- Dead-End Office Workers
5. Which of these is an example of a cultural goal that causes strain?
- 9/11 Attacks
- The American Dream
- The London Riots
- Obtaining a phd