1. Which of these is NOT a strain adaptation (all the others are) according to Merton?
1 of 10
Other questions in this quiz
2. What is Retreatism?
- Where individuals carry on using legitimate means, but no longer have any goals to aspire towards.
- Where individuals attempt to achieve a goal in society, but face too many barriers and retreat back to Ritualism.
- Where individuals drop out of society's expectations by abandoning cultural goals and legitimate means.
- Where individuals replace goals and means with their own ideals to try and reform society.
3. Which Sociological theory is Strain Theory associated with most often?
- Symbolic Interactionalism
4. What are the 2 main factors that contribute towards strain?
- Structural factors & socialisation factors
- Cultural factors & structural factors
- Cultural factors & social factors
- Structural factors & conformist factors
5. Which of these is NOT a criticism of Merton's work (all others are)?
- It doesn't offer explanation for delinquent subcultures.
- It can't explain why genocide, violence, vandalism etc. occur.
- He provided no statistical evidence towards his theory.
- He assumes value consensus on society's goals.
- He ignores the power of the ruling class to enforce laws that criminalise the poor, but not the rich.
- He used statistics at face value ("the tip of the iceberg").