1. Which of these is not listed as a function of crime by Functionalists (all others are)?
- Crime promotes social cohesion.
- Crime can lead to adaptation and change.
- Crime can act as a warning device.
- Crime can act as a safety valve.
- Crime can be a way for the youth to progress to adulthood.
- Crime can still provide members of society with careers.
- Crime informs us of social boundaries.
1 of 12
Other questions in this quiz
2. Which of these is NOT typically used as an example of crime with a latent/hidden benefit (all others are)?
- Excessive drinking at carnivals/festivals.
- Martin Luther King assassination.
- White Collar Crime
- Shannon Matthews murder.
3. Quick Recap: How do Sociologists typically define Crime?
- The violation of norms of society that have been enacted into law.
- A bad thing
- The disapproval towards the criminal justice system.
- The attacking of social institutions - including the legal system.
4. IMPORTANT: What is Anomie?
- Disruption/A state of normlessness.
- Another way of saying "value consensus".
- Weakening of a collective conscience.
- Annihilation of class and gender divides.
5. Quick Recap: How do Sociologists typically define deviance?
- The recognised disapproval of institutions of power.
- The recognised violation of cultural norms.
- The recognised abolishing of societal values.
- The recognised disruption of social solidarity.