1. What were the three main uses of horses for Plains Indians?
- Hunting buffalo, slaughtered for it's meat, traded for food with white men
- Hunting buffalo (creates stampede), carries belongings when moving (travois form a sort of cart), used in warfare (quick escapes, traded horses for guns etc.)
- Used for horse racing (betting in the tribe), used to hunt white men, carries belongings when moving
- Used in warfare (quick escapes etc.), hides used for tipis, attached to travois to carry belongings.
1 of 8
Other questions in this quiz
2. What were the 2 methods of buffalo hunting?
- Approaching the Buffalo, Running the Buffalo
- Shooting the Buffalo, Following the Buffalo
- Approaching the Buffalo, Shooting the Buffalo
- Shooting the Buffalo, Trapping the Buffalo
3. Name 3 parts of the buffalo used for warfare.
- Tanned hide worn as disguises during ambushes, swords made from bones, hooves used as ammunition for catapults
- Horns acted as arrow straighteners, bones were crafted into knives, raw hide was used as shields
- Shields were made from flattened skulls, bones sharpened to from arrows, horns were used as knives
- Hair used as fletchings on arrows, bones used as bows, raw hide used as shields
4. Name 3 parts of the buffalo used for clothing.
- String made of tendons, moccasins made from hair, mittens made from tanned hide.
- Mittens made of buffalo fur, meat used for head-dresses, leggings made from horns.
- Head-dresses made by horns, tanned hide made leggings etc., fur made mittens.
- Head-dresses made by tanned hide, shoes made by hooves, tendons used for string etc.
5. What were 3 of the 5 main challenges faced by Plains Indians?
- High speed winds, extremes in temperature and the need to move frequently.
- Lack of wind, no food and the low temperatures
- High temperatures, lack of shelter and rough terrain
- Extinct food source, high speed winds and no weapons.