1. Name 3 parts of the buffalo used for warfare.
- Hair used as fletchings on arrows, bones used as bows, raw hide used as shields
- Shields were made from flattened skulls, bones sharpened to from arrows, horns were used as knives
- Horns acted as arrow straighteners, bones were crafted into knives, raw hide was used as shields
- Tanned hide worn as disguises during ambushes, swords made from bones, hooves used as ammunition for catapults
1 of 8
Other questions in this quiz
2. What were the 2 methods of buffalo hunting?
- Shooting the Buffalo, Trapping the Buffalo
- Approaching the Buffalo, Running the Buffalo
- Approaching the Buffalo, Shooting the Buffalo
- Shooting the Buffalo, Following the Buffalo
3. Name 3 parts of the buffalo used for clothing.
- Mittens made of buffalo fur, meat used for head-dresses, leggings made from horns.
- Head-dresses made by horns, tanned hide made leggings etc., fur made mittens.
- String made of tendons, moccasins made from hair, mittens made from tanned hide.
- Head-dresses made by tanned hide, shoes made by hooves, tendons used for string etc.
4. Name 3 parts of the buffalo used for items in the home.
- Spoons made from the horns, soap made from fat, hooves crafted into tools.
- Tanned hide for tipi covers, hooves for toys, tendons made into rugs
- Dung was used as fuel, bones were made into pencils, horns made cups
- Cutlery made from horns, bedsheets made from tanned hide, fireplaces made from bones
5. What were 2 key features of tipis and how did they help overcome the problems?
- Built flat to the ground to prevent damage from high winds. Flaps at the top could be opened up to allow smoke from fires to escape.
- Holes in the sides acted as ventilation for the high temperatures. Conical, bottom-heavy shape to prevent blowing over.
- Poles used as travois, could be packed in 10 minutes. Made of 10-20 buffalo hides, required little wood.
- Had a waterproof layer to protect against heavy rain. Bottom of tipi rolls up to let in air, and flaps act as shade from the sun.