1. Name 3 parts of the buffalo used for items in the home.
- Cutlery made from horns, bedsheets made from tanned hide, fireplaces made from bones
- Spoons made from the horns, soap made from fat, hooves crafted into tools.
- Dung was used as fuel, bones were made into pencils, horns made cups
- Tanned hide for tipi covers, hooves for toys, tendons made into rugs
1 of 8
Other questions in this quiz
2. What were the three main uses of horses for Plains Indians?
- Hunting buffalo (creates stampede), carries belongings when moving (travois form a sort of cart), used in warfare (quick escapes, traded horses for guns etc.)
- Used in warfare (quick escapes etc.), hides used for tipis, attached to travois to carry belongings.
- Used for horse racing (betting in the tribe), used to hunt white men, carries belongings when moving
- Hunting buffalo, slaughtered for it's meat, traded for food with white men
3. Name 2 parts of the buffalo used for religious reasons.
- Meat used as sacrifice, ground hooves used to paint pictures during rituals
- Painted hooves used for prayer, hide made into religious robes
- Painted skull used for rituals, horns made into head-dresses
- Stretched hide formed drums, and bones were used as drumsticks
4. Name 3 parts of the buffalo used for warfare.
- Hair used as fletchings on arrows, bones used as bows, raw hide used as shields
- Horns acted as arrow straighteners, bones were crafted into knives, raw hide was used as shields
- Tanned hide worn as disguises during ambushes, swords made from bones, hooves used as ammunition for catapults
- Shields were made from flattened skulls, bones sharpened to from arrows, horns were used as knives
5. What were 3 of the 5 main challenges faced by Plains Indians?
- Extinct food source, high speed winds and no weapons.
- Lack of wind, no food and the low temperatures
- High speed winds, extremes in temperature and the need to move frequently.
- High temperatures, lack of shelter and rough terrain