1. What were the three main uses of horses for Plains Indians?
- Used in warfare (quick escapes etc.), hides used for tipis, attached to travois to carry belongings.
- Used for horse racing (betting in the tribe), used to hunt white men, carries belongings when moving
- Hunting buffalo (creates stampede), carries belongings when moving (travois form a sort of cart), used in warfare (quick escapes, traded horses for guns etc.)
- Hunting buffalo, slaughtered for it's meat, traded for food with white men
1 of 8
Other questions in this quiz
2. Name 3 parts of the buffalo used for warfare.
- Horns acted as arrow straighteners, bones were crafted into knives, raw hide was used as shields
- Hair used as fletchings on arrows, bones used as bows, raw hide used as shields
- Shields were made from flattened skulls, bones sharpened to from arrows, horns were used as knives
- Tanned hide worn as disguises during ambushes, swords made from bones, hooves used as ammunition for catapults
3. Name 3 parts of the buffalo used for clothing.
- Mittens made of buffalo fur, meat used for head-dresses, leggings made from horns.
- Head-dresses made by tanned hide, shoes made by hooves, tendons used for string etc.
- Head-dresses made by horns, tanned hide made leggings etc., fur made mittens.
- String made of tendons, moccasins made from hair, mittens made from tanned hide.
4. Name 2 parts of the buffalo used for religious reasons.
- Stretched hide formed drums, and bones were used as drumsticks
- Meat used as sacrifice, ground hooves used to paint pictures during rituals
- Painted skull used for rituals, horns made into head-dresses
- Painted hooves used for prayer, hide made into religious robes
5. Name 3 parts of the buffalo used for items in the home.
- Dung was used as fuel, bones were made into pencils, horns made cups
- Spoons made from the horns, soap made from fat, hooves crafted into tools.
- Tanned hide for tipi covers, hooves for toys, tendons made into rugs
- Cutlery made from horns, bedsheets made from tanned hide, fireplaces made from bones