1. Why does the left ventricle have thicker walls than the right ventricle?
- needs to contract powerfully to pump blood all the way round the body but right side only needs to get blood to the lungs, which are nearby
- less well supported
1 of 19
Other questions in this quiz
2. Do arteries contain valves?
3. If there is higher pressure behind a valve, is it forced open or shut?
4. Why is the endothelium in the artery folded?
- to allow the artery to expand, helping it to cope with high pressure
- to give it a large surface area
5. How is blood helped to flow through veins?
- by contraction of body muscles surrounding them
- by the veins contracting
- by the valves