1. What did Pamela Fishman propose?
- Mixed-sex conversations don't fail.
- Mixed-sex conversation sometimes fails, not because of female-talk, but because of how men respond, or don't respond.
- Mixed-sex conversations fail.
1 of 20
Other questions in this quiz
2. Which of the following is NOT one of Jennifer Coates' categories for all-female conversation?
- House Talk
3. Which one of the following is NOT one of the six contrasts proposed by Tannen?
- Orders vs. Proposals
- Orders vs. Commands
- Status vs. Support
- Advice vs. Understanding
- Conflict vs. Compromise
- Independence vs. Intimacy
- Information vs. Feelings
4. What did O'Barr and Atkins find?
- Status and gender caused language differences to the same significance, in courtroom cases.
- Status was more significant than gender in language differences, as shown by courtroom cases.
- Gender was the cause of language differences, not power or status, in the courtroom cases studied.
5. Which one of these is NOT one of Lakoff's assumptions of women's language?
- Uses fewer apologies
- Uses hedges e.g. sort of, kind of
- Uses empty adjectives e.g. lovely, adorable
- Avoids expletives