1. What did Trudgill say women tended to use?
- Received Pronunciation.
- Prestige pronunciation, as they tended towards hypercorectness.
- Regional accents.
- Low prestige pronunciation.
1 of 20
Other questions in this quiz
2. Which theory did Zimmerman and West propose?
- Difference theory
- Dominace theory
- Defecit theory
3. What does the Dominance theory propose?
- Women are more dominant in mixed-sex conversations.
- Men interrupt more than women, as men are more dominant, and women are seen as the subordinate group.
- Men talk more than women.
4. What did Pamela Fishman propose?
- Mixed-sex conversation sometimes fails, not because of female-talk, but because of how men respond, or don't respond.
- Mixed-sex conversations fail.
- Mixed-sex conversations don't fail.
5. Which one of the following is NOT one of the six contrasts proposed by Tannen?
- Orders vs. Proposals
- Advice vs. Understanding
- Status vs. Support
- Orders vs. Commands
- Conflict vs. Compromise
- Information vs. Feelings
- Independence vs. Intimacy