1. What did Beattie find?
- Women and men interrupted with more or less equal frequency.
- Men interrupt more than women.
- Women interrupt more than men.
1 of 20
Other questions in this quiz
2. Which one of these is NOT one of Lakoff's assumptions of women's language?
- Avoids expletives
- Uses hedges e.g. sort of, kind of
- Uses fewer apologies
- Uses empty adjectives e.g. lovely, adorable
3. Which one of the following is NOT one of the six contrasts proposed by Tannen?
- Conflict vs. Compromise
- Orders vs. Commands
- Orders vs. Proposals
- Status vs. Support
- Information vs. Feelings
- Independence vs. Intimacy
- Advice vs. Understanding
4. What did Pamela Fishman propose?
- Mixed-sex conversation sometimes fails, not because of female-talk, but because of how men respond, or don't respond.
- Mixed-sex conversations fail.
- Mixed-sex conversations don't fail.
5. Who's theories did O'Barr and Atkins challenge?