1. Which one of the following is NOT one of the six contrasts proposed by Tannen?
- Advice vs. Understanding
- Status vs. Support
- Orders vs. Commands
- Orders vs. Proposals
- Independence vs. Intimacy
- Information vs. Feelings
- Conflict vs. Compromise
1 of 20
Other questions in this quiz
2. What reasoning did Trudgill suggest behind men using low prestige pronunciation?
- They were seeking covert prestige by appearing "tough" or "down to earth".
- They were seeking overt prestige by appearing "tough" or "down to earth".
- They were of a lower class.
- They wanted to seem friendly.
3. What did Beattie find?
- Women interrupt more than men.
- Women and men interrupted with more or less equal frequency.
- Men interrupt more than women.
4. What did O'Barr and Atkins find?
- Status and gender caused language differences to the same significance, in courtroom cases.
- Status was more significant than gender in language differences, as shown by courtroom cases.
- Gender was the cause of language differences, not power or status, in the courtroom cases studied.
5. What was one of Fishman's suggestions?
- Topics initiated by men are more likely to be followed up and pursued than those initiated by women.
- Topics initiated by either sex are just as likely to be followed up and pursued.
- Topics initiated by women are more likely to be followed up and pursued than topics initiated by men.