1. How does Deborah Cameron support the deficit model?
- Some terms are marked so power lies in the norm, which is the original form.
- Women's terms are marked so power lies in the norm, which is the male form.
- Agrees with Lakoff.
1 of 20
Other questions in this quiz
2. What reasoning did Trudgill suggest behind men using low prestige pronunciation?
- They were of a lower class.
- They wanted to seem friendly.
- They were seeking covert prestige by appearing "tough" or "down to earth".
- They were seeking overt prestige by appearing "tough" or "down to earth".
3. Which of the following is NOT one of Jennifer Coates' categories for all-female conversation?
- House Talk
4. What did O'Barr and Atkins find?
- Status was more significant than gender in language differences, as shown by courtroom cases.
- Gender was the cause of language differences, not power or status, in the courtroom cases studied.
- Status and gender caused language differences to the same significance, in courtroom cases.
5. Who proposed the Deficit theory?
- Robin Lakoff
- Deborah Tannen
- Jennifer Coates