1. Which one of the following is NOT one of the six contrasts proposed by Tannen?
- Independence vs. Intimacy
- Information vs. Feelings
- Orders vs. Commands
- Conflict vs. Compromise
- Advice vs. Understanding
- Orders vs. Proposals
- Status vs. Support
1 of 20
Other questions in this quiz
2. Which one of these is NOT one of Lakoff's assumptions of women's language?
- Uses empty adjectives e.g. lovely, adorable
- Avoids expletives
- Uses fewer apologies
- Uses hedges e.g. sort of, kind of
3. Who proposed the Deficit theory?
- Jennifer Coates
- Robin Lakoff
- Deborah Tannen
4. What does the Deficit theory propose?
- The language of males and females is deficit.
- Male language is treated as the standard or norm, and female's as deficient.
- Males are seen as the subordinate group.
5. How does Deborah Cameron support the deficit model?
- Women's terms are marked so power lies in the norm, which is the male form.
- Agrees with Lakoff.
- Some terms are marked so power lies in the norm, which is the original form.