1. Description of mediation
- It operates alongside the courts and deals with over a million cases each year. The final decision is legally binding.
- it must be tried before a court case, is cheap, quick, and generally involves an exchange of information between parties. There is no set procedure.
- an informal procedure where a neutral 3rd party helps to reach a compromise solution. It is voluntary and the parties remain in control of the decision.
- a neutral third party plays a more active role and helps to resolve a dispute. The party gives a non-binding opinion on how the dispute can be resolved, ending the process.
1 of 5
Other questions in this quiz
2. Which type of ADR can include a formalised mediation conference which is similar to a mini-trial?
3. What is usually the first step in resolving a dispute?
4. The most common way of resolving a dispute is...
5. What is a formalised mediation conference?
- when both sides present their case to a mediation panel, which includes a neutral mediator.
- a business conference about mediators
- when the parties meet up with the mediator and give their points to a board of directors, who will share their opinion on the dispute.
- a mini-trial in the supreme court