1. What did Fuller say about labelling theory?
- Negative labelling can have positive response - pupils can work against labels
- Labelling is always negative and forces most pupils to form deviant subcultures
1 of 8
Other questions in this quiz
2. What is 'teacher agency'?
- Where teachers are deeply influenced by middle class values to form an educational identity
- The power and influence teachers have over their pupils
- The recruitment system for teachers
3. How does 'setting and streaming' affect pupils?
- Primarily WC pupils are placed in lower streams - hinders confidence, lower aspirations than MC pupils.
- Pupils are separated from confident social groups - affects their progression
4. What did Hargreaves observe about teacher/pupil relationships?
- Teachers were biased in their observations of pupils - labelling based on class, appearance etc.
- Teachers would welcome both MC and WC pupils and give them equal opportunities
5. What did Willis study?
- Working class boys in macho subculture acted against teachers to prove masculinity and status
- Black boys formed rebellious subcultures in response to racial stereotypes
- Black female pupils acted upon their labels and worked against them to achieve further.
Similar Sociology resources: