1. Choose one reason why Douglas-Home lost the 1964 election.
- Home was too little of an Establishment figuire and the people wanted more.
- Internal party divides: figures like Enoch Powell were uncomfortable with the Establishmentarian leader and wanted change.
- People were bored of Home
- People didn't like Home's haircut
1 of 8
Other questions in this quiz
2. Who else did Christine Keeler have an affair with other than John Profumo?
- A Russian spy
- An American soldier
3. How did Macmillan attempt to modernise the conservative party?
- Introduced an effective stop-go policy and reduced inflation
- Created the Profumo affair
- Tried to join the EEC (European Economic Community) and removed some Establishment figuires from his cabinet.
- Replaced his working class cabinet with Establishment figuires
4. Which establishmentarian figuire succeeded Macmillan when he resigned in 1963?
- Winston Churchill
- Alec Douglas-Home
- Anthony Eden
- Hugh Gaitskell
5. What is the Establishment?
- Nigel Farage
- David Cameron
- Typically upper class and aristocratic white males educated at Eton/Harrow and following on to Oxford/Cambridge
- Lower or middle class politicians that worked their way up through meritocracy