1. How did Macmillan attempt to modernise the conservative party?
- Introduced an effective stop-go policy and reduced inflation
- Created the Profumo affair
- Tried to join the EEC (European Economic Community) and removed some Establishment figuires from his cabinet.
- Replaced his working class cabinet with Establishment figuires
1 of 8
Other questions in this quiz
2. Who were the "angry young men?"
- Group of contemporary writers that rejected traditional literature and theatre and wrote plays and books that reflected contemporary society.
- People who protested for better pay
- Group of men that help a revolution against Douglas-Home
- Angry people
3. Out of the 23 men in Douglas-Home's cabinet, how had NOT been to private school?
4. What year was the Profumo affair revealed?
5. Choose one reason why Douglas-Home lost the 1964 election.
- Home was too little of an Establishment figuire and the people wanted more.
- People didn't like Home's haircut
- Internal party divides: figures like Enoch Powell were uncomfortable with the Establishmentarian leader and wanted change.
- People were bored of Home