1. How did Macmillan attempt to modernise the conservative party?
- Tried to join the EEC (European Economic Community) and removed some Establishment figuires from his cabinet.
- Created the Profumo affair
- Replaced his working class cabinet with Establishment figuires
- Introduced an effective stop-go policy and reduced inflation
1 of 8
Other questions in this quiz
2. Who else did Christine Keeler have an affair with other than John Profumo?
- A Russian spy
- An American soldier
3. What is the Establishment?
- Typically upper class and aristocratic white males educated at Eton/Harrow and following on to Oxford/Cambridge
- Nigel Farage
- David Cameron
- Lower or middle class politicians that worked their way up through meritocracy
4. Choose one reason why Douglas-Home lost the 1964 election.
- Home was too little of an Establishment figuire and the people wanted more.
- People didn't like Home's haircut
- Internal party divides: figures like Enoch Powell were uncomfortable with the Establishmentarian leader and wanted change.
- People were bored of Home
5. Out of the 23 men in Douglas-Home's cabinet, how had NOT been to private school?