- Created by: 12dedge sucks sucks sucks sucks
- Created on: 05-12-18 10:18
Words - Memory is divided up into equal units called words. Word lengths are usually 8, 16, 32 or 64 bits. Each word will have a separate memory address.
Increasing word length:
· CPU can process more data.
· Processor can have larger amount of memory through direct addressing.
· Larger instruction set.
Address bus - The width of the address bus determines the maximum possible memory addresses of the system. With an 8-bit address bus, the maximum number of memory addresses is 2ˆ8
Increasing Address bus width:
· Increases max potential memory usage.
· Can address more unique memory locations.
Data bus - The data bus is bi-directional meaning data can be sent both ways along the bus. If the data bus is the same width as a computer word, data can be transferred to and from memory in a single instruction. Increasing the data bus width means move more data around per unit time