- Atoms have a small central nucleus.
- This is made up of protons and neutrons- it is also surrounded by electrons.
- All of these structures inside the atom have relative electircal charges:
- A Proton has a charge of +1
- A Neutron has a charge of 0 (neutral)
- An Electron has a charge of -1
- In an atom the number of electrons is equal to the number of protons in the nucleus.
- Therefore atoms have no overall charge.
- The number of protons in an atom of an element is it's atomic number
- The sum of the number of protons and neutrons in an atom is it's mass number
- Each part of an atom has a relative mass:
- A Proton has a relative mass…
Similar Chemistry resources: