- electromagnetic waves (short-wavelength and high frequency) wavelength is roughly the same size as the diameter of an atom.
- Used in Hospitals: 1. to make images and CT scans 2. to destroy tumors at or near the body surface.
- can damage living tissue when they pass through it
- are absorbed more by bones and teeth (denser materials) than they are by soft tissue
- brighter bits on an x-ray are where fewer x-rays get through - shows denser material (bones/teeth)
- x-ray images can be formed electronically - CCDs (Charge-coupled devices) CCDs: small silicon chips, divided up into a grid of millions of identical pixels. Detect x-rays and produce electronic signals used to form…