Types of TNC's:
- Legal Political e.g. UN or EU
-Economic Financial e.g. W.T.O or I.M.F
- Single Issue e.g. Interpol or WHO
- Relief and Development (Oxfam)
- Sovereign Entity (Red Cross)
- Lobbying (Green Peace or Amnesty International)
- The earliest T.N.C was the Dutch East India Company
- There was an explosion in volume of T.N.C's. "Corporate Century"
- Trade intensified because of it. T.N.C's take advantage and coordinate trade.
- Since WW2 there has been an explosion in corporate form. There are now 1000++ T.N.C's.
- These dwarfed economic power of nation states.
- Economic Power = Political Influence
Bretton Woods Institutions:
- The World Bank Prevents Poverty.
- The WTO removes trade barriers
- The IMF give out last resort loans.
- Coordinates issues at a global level.
- Centrilised source of funding.
- Dollar per vote basis- gives rich more power.
Washington consensus- by the rich for the rich.
Positive of TNC's:
- Overcome economic barriers to development.
- Overcome cultural barriers: educated workforce. promote values of education and urbanisation.
- Progressive employment= gender inequality.
- Creates jobs, brings…