Baddeley and Hitch (1974)
- Argued STM more complex than just 'stopping off station' for info to transfer to LTM
- Proposed STM should be replaced by working memory
- WM allows several pieces of info to be processed and interrelated simultaneously and info can flow LTM to STM as well as the other way round
- 'Working' because it's an 'active store that holds info which is being manipulated and woken upon
Central executive allocates resources dependent on cognititve demands and controls other component systems
The phonological/articulatory loop is a temporary acoustic storage system for verbal info that is used to repeat info (e.g phone numbers) or store words before they're spoken.
- Articulatory control process holds words for sub-vocal repetition to prevent decay, also known as the 'inner voice'
- Phonological store represents auditory info in terms of pitch and volume, also known as the 'inner ear'
Visual spatial sketch pad rehearses visual/spatial info.
- Visual cache stores visual info, e.g. form and colour
- Inner scribe stores info about spatial relationships
Description of WWM
- Central executive involved in higher mental processes (decision making), allocates resources to other slave systems depending on task
- Central executive…