What were the conditions of Louis XVIII's return in 1814?
Sign on Charter
- Equality before the law.
- Fair taxation.
- Careers open to all.
- Freedom of the individual.
- Religious freedom, Catholocism was the state religion.
- Freedom of the press.
- Protection for property owners.
- Abolition of conscription.
- Choose his own ministers.
- Introduce legislations.
- Veto any amendments.
- Dissolve parliament when he chose.
- Control all military and civil appointments.
What was the effect of the charter?
- Louis' return was less unpopular.
- Restoration was acceptable - basic liberties and property rights.
- Government still undemocratic.
- 88,000 of 29 million had the right to vote.
- Made it clear about freedoms granted by the charter, being a personal gift to his people, not a basic right.
- Believed in his own divine…
Similar History resources: