- Created by: joshlad
- Created on: 10-02-16 20:12
Impact of Versailles on Germany
What was the Treaty of Versailles?
The Treaty of Versailles was signed on 28 June 1919 and was one of the peace treaties at the end of WW1. It ended the state of war between Germany and the Allied powers and set out the terms of Germany's punishment. The treaty was greeted with shock and disbelief in Germany.
1) War Guilt: Germany had to accept the blame for starting the war.
2) Reparations: Germany had to pay reparations to the Allies for the damage caused by the war. The exact figures was set at £6,600 million - an enormous figure.
3) Germany's overseas empire was taken away. Former German colonies became mandates controlled by the League of Nations.
4) The German armed forces were restricted e.g. the army was limited to 100,00 men, conscription was banned and the Navy could only build six battleships. Germany was…