President Ebert took power after the Kaiser abdicated.
THE STAB IN THE BACK MYTH
This is the idea that all of the government were communists and Jews, people thought that they were the reason that Germany lost the war. The government were known as the NOVEMBER CRIMINALS.
Treaty of Versailles
- Germany lost all oversea colonies
- Forced to give up the Polish Corridor
- Alsace and Lorraine were given to France- these were rich coal mining land
- Ports of Danzig and Memmel were cliamed by the league of nations
- Germany had to pay £6.6 billion- these reparations were stopped in 1922 because Germany could not afford them
- The loss of Alsace meant that Germany could not afford the reparations
- Army reduced to 100,00 men
- No tanks
- No airforce
- Battleships given to Britain and France
- Germany had to accpet all blame for the war
The land lost meant that the polulation decreased, there was therefore less money coming in.
Mining land such as Alsace and the Ruhr meant that the economy was in ruin.
National income was 2/3 lower.
The army was the pride of the nation and and led to many Germans feeing threatened and that they couldn't defend themselves.
THE GERMAN PEOPLE BLAMED THE GOVERNMENT'S SURRENDER FOR THIS AND IS A PRIME EXAMPLE OF THE STAB IN THE BACK MYTH.
THE SPARTACIST PUTSCH
A communist attempt…