What does Social Class mean?
- Measure of status based on occupation, income, wealth etc.
- Language features can vary according to social factors
- Variable : Abstract representation of source of variation
- Variant: Actual realisation of the variable
Variation According to Social Class
- Trudgill consider 'g-dropping' like in 'walking' and 'Reading' (the place)
Social Class and Style
- Trudgil came up with 4 styles; Casual style, Formal style, reading passage style and world list style.
- Why do speakers change pronunciation according to style? 1. When there is…