- Soft water is the 'normal' water. It dissolves most ionic compounds, including: chlorides, sulphates, nitrates (with some exceptions) ammonium, potassium and sodium.
- Water is classed as the 'universal solvent'.
- Water molecules are polar - they have a positive hydrogen side and a negative oxygen side.
- Caused by magnesium chloride, magnesium sulphate, calcium chloride and calcium sulphate.
- Passes over rocks, such as limestone or chalk, and the above minerals dissolve into the water.
- Also, when CO2 is in the air, it sometimes dissolves in the rain water