The snowy mountain scheme;
- Largest hydroelectric/engineering scheme in Australia
- consitis of 16 major dams, 7 power stations and several piplines,tunnels and aquaducts
- Collects water from the snowy mountains which is used to generate electricty
- water is then diverted west, into the Murray and Murrumbridge rivers
- Farmers in new south wales and Victoria use water for irrigation. Communities also use water.
- Storage lakes, e.g;Lake Eucumbene, destroyed natural habitiats.
- Snowy river discharge has decreased to 1 percent of its origional discharge.
- Low flow and irrigation has led to salinisation