(All notes based on the BBC Timewatch programme episode called Atlantis the evidence)
- It was a myth written by Plato. It is thought that it could have been written:
- as a warning about wealth and fortune
- due to listening to peoples gossip
- not from an historians point of view. It is thought that he didn't want to write history.
- Some people would argue that Atlantis was created by supernatural aliens.
- Nazi's thought that the Arian race came from Atlantis.
Thera-Is Atlanta based on the events that happened here?
- The land seem to link to what Plato describes as it is the right shape.
- The island is the remains of a volcanic crater.
- It is wondered if the Atlantis myth was triggered by the eruption that took place.
- In the myth of Atlantis, Plato mentioned that different coloured stones were used in buildings. This can be seen in buildings in Thera.
- Thera was home to an advance civilisation.
- 1967 discovery:
- it was found beneath 100ft of ash and pumice.
- 10,000sq kilometres has been currently excavated, but it is estimated that there is 30 times more here.
- The civilisation was particularly inventive with pottery and it is of high quality.
- Wall paintings have been discovered here which show life and it seems to show that because women are present that they had a…