WHAT IS VOCATIONAL EDUCATION?
- Any type of education or training that is preparing people for the world of work.
- 'New Vocationalism' is the change in view by the Government that vocational training should take place in schools and colleges.
- First emerged in the late 1970's.
- Supports the view that the main function of education is to provide the economy with a skilled workforce.
- VET teaches the individual the specialist skills they need to perform their role in the division of labour and to meet society's economic needs.
WHAT IS THE NEED FOR VOCATIONAL EDUCATION?
- In the 1970's their was high unemployment - especially youth unemployment.
- Politicians became increasingly critical of the educational system - too academic and not technical enough.
- Many children were leaving school with little or no qualifications.
WHAT VOCATIONAL SCHEMES HAVE…