Why it increased in the 16th century:
- End of war left soldiers out of work
- No National help system.
- Inflation caused prices to rise faster than wages
- Problems with the cloth industary
- Land owners kept more sheep which needed less workers.
- Population increases significantly
- Closure of monestries by Henry the eigth in the 1530's took away the poor rate.
What did people think of vagrants?:
- Villages and towns did try to help the genuinely poor of their own parish
- The aged, sick and…
Similar History resources: