- humans are motivated by pleasure
- humans persue pleasure which is good and seek to avoid pain which is bad
- utility principle- the rightness or wrongness of an action is determined by its usefulness
- usefulness refers to amount of pleasure & hapiness caused by the action
- 'greatest good for the greatest number'
- the hedonic calculus: weighs up pain & pleasure based on intensity, duration , certainity or uncertainity,propinquity or remotness, fecundity, purity and extent
- well being of the individual is of greatest importance and that…