- Created by: alvlrevision
- Created on: 18-01-18 10:19
Brick Lane Case Study: Urban Development
Brick Lane is located in the Tower Hamlets borough of East London and passes through Spitalfields. Brick Lane is very much inner city. The population of Brick Lane, as accounted for in 2011, currently stands at 12,578. 54% of this population are male and the remaining 46% are female. Brick Lane is slightly more densely populated than other boroughs in London. Brick Lane was previously named Whitechapel Lane and before it was built upon it was just a country lane in the countryside. Brick Lane stands at 145 people per hectare whereas London averages at around 129 people per borough. Brick Lane runs largely on the industry sector, of which the purpose has changed a lot over time. Brick Lane was beginning to be built in 1718, and has over time changed accordingly:
Ø Early 17th century: popular location for breweries/market.
Ø Late 17th century: silk weaving (French Huguenots)
Ø 18th century: weaving/tailoring linen (Irish immigrants)
Ø Today: art and fashion industries.
Brick Lane was a traditionally white British area. In the 17th century there was an influx of French Huguenots which introduced the silk weaving industry. Then, in the 18th/19th/20th century there was an influx of Irish/Jewish communities. In 1900, 90% of Brick Lane’s population were Jewish. More recently, there…