Work is based from Wallis 'The Sociology of the New Religions' Social Studies Review. He was influential in his attempt to develop a typology of NRMs.
- He observed that many NRMs drew on Christian traditions as well as Non-Western religions such as Buddhism, Hinduism and Island and combined these with techniques drawn from pyschology/ pyschotherapy.
- He distinguishes between NRMs by how the relate/orientate themselves to the world:
1) World Affirming :)
- Focus is on the problems of the individuals.
- They market themselves as a service which individuals can purchase and consume at their convenience.
- Practices are directed at reducing the problems of this life.
- They accept most of the goals and values of the…